Stitch Simple

Here is an email I got a couple of weeks ago. . .

Hi Teresa

I’m Jen and I own a small fabric boutique called Stitch Simple. I started working with Harmony this summer and I read about the Green Bag Lady project on her blog. To make a long story short, I’d like you to know that you’ve inspired me as a retailer to never start using plastic bags.

I make most of my sales online, but we do a couple local markets here and there. I had a growing pile of not quite fat quarters, flawed pieces, end of bolts and scraps that I decided to sew up into bags to put customers purchases in instead of plastic. I took a lot more sweat than plastic bags, but I put a dent in my pile and I feel good about it. Part of the beauty of being an entrepreneur is to make decisions consistent with your own values and when I read about your project I thought hey, maybe it’s a two way street. Customers should bring fabric bags, but retailers (especially those of us who sell fabric) can help out too.

I won’t be charging anything for them- I just want it to be sort of an “of course we’d put it in a fabric bag” kind of experience. And as my inspiration, I would really like to give you credit by putting a little tag on the bags that has your website address so they can read about the project and learn how to make more bags of their own. I of course would like your blessing before I do that since you’ve worked so hard on your project and I by no means want to interfere with how you like to project your message. So, that’s why I wanted to get in touch with you.

Let me know, I promise I won’t be offended if you’d rather not have me use the tags… and I’ll still think your project is amazing!


Jen Madsen
Founder & Owner
Stitch Simple

Here is the follow up today. . .

Hi Teresa! The bags were a hit at yesterday's market. Attached is a shot of them hanging up in our booth. I went for both a close up and a far away... but none of the distance photos turned out well. Thanks so much again for the blogpost and for your amazing project!

Have a great week,

Jen Madsen
Stitch Simple

2 comments:

Harmony said...

I am the happiest girl in the world! How lucky am I to get to interact with SO many lovely, thoughtful people! Jen and Teresa rock!

Amandafkyy said...

I am the happiest girl in the world! How lucky am I to get to interact with SO many lovely, thoughtful people! Jen and Teresa rock!