Some photos from Harmony. . .

Harmony is lucky, she lives right by the ocean. If you happen to read her blog too, you will remember a while back when she posted about finding plastic on the beaches near her home. This was a new experience, they had previously been littered only by natural ocean waste. Here are a couple of photos from her recently. More and more plastic is starting to show up along the coast of Gualala, CA. Insert big sigh here. . .
On a related note, I would like to share with you my plans in the coming months. I am on sabbatical from my University this semester. Yay! I will be doing some traveling. To Chile, to be exact. I will be going on a marine research vessel (the Sea Dragon) off the coast of Chile for 2 weeks to study plastic in the ocean. I will be photographing and doing some video as well. I will be posting here on Green Bag Lady about my experience and sharing photos. I hope you will stay tuned and join me in my big adventure! I will leave at the end of February.

For more info on plastic in the ocean, go to:

5 Gyres
Algalita Marine Research Foundation

Previous posts about plastic in the ocean can be found in the right hand column.

Please be aware of your plastic usage and cut down on as much as you can! Teresa

7 comments:

Harmony said...

Have a fabulous, educational, sea-sick-free trip! Can't wait to read all about it. PLEASE post often. I look forward to hearing about what you discover.

Yes, seeing pieces of the pacific gyre washing up on my beach is really quite alarming. Going to the beach has never been so heart breaking and sadly it appears it will only get worst. sigh.

Green Bag Lady Teresa said...

Yes, I fear the same thing. Thanks for the photos.

mb said...

i'll be following along, t. i've been seeing the same thing here on the oregon coast, and been comparing notes with harmony. i am so impressed with your upcoming trip! fair winds to you.

Anonymous said...

How fantastic that you are able to go on this voyage and share it all of us. I will be sure to share all of your adventure with my family and friends. Who says one person can't make a difference? You go girl!!!!

Green Bag Lady Teresa said...

Thanks everyone! It's nice to know you will be there with me. I'll need some encouragement, I'm sure!

MissesStitches said...

Wow! Your trip sounds very exciting. Have a good time and you know we'll all be following you.

Green Bag Lady Teresa said...

Thanks Jan, it will be quite the adventure!