Guess who I got to meet last Sunday?

One of the reasons that I went to California this past week (besides visiting Harmony, of course) was to do some more research about beach plastic. Since Chile was so pristine and we didn't see very much (good thing!), I felt compelled to go to California and see what plastic I could find. Remember this post? About the fabulous Richard and Judith Lange? Harmony and I got to have lunch with them, talk about their artwork and beach plastic in general. They showed us around their studio and their storage space in an old barn.

Judith, modeling a necklace she made from "beach styrofoam"…

 One of the bags I sent them. Glad it is getting used!
 So much and only the tip of the iceberg…
 The great sorting table to sift through all of their "treasures"…
 Sorting plastic by color…
 Shotgun shell casings. I remember these were made out of cardboard when I was a kid…
 This is a huge ball of fishing net that came right out of the North Pacific Gyre
 They separate and store the plastic they are not using. It is categorized by object or color…
 Some art pieces made from the plastic…
 Love this fish, made entirely from beach plastic…
It is worth posting their video once again. It is so nice, please take the time to watch it…again…

One Plastic Beach from High Beam Media on Vimeo.

To view more of the artwork made from the plastic, go HERE.

Thank you Richard and Judith for a lovely lunch, sharing your home and studio with me (and Harmony) and the wonderful conversation! Tomorrow I will post about Harmony and I picking up plastic at Kehoe Beach, where Richard and Judith collect their treasures. Teresa

No comments: