My tennis partner and good friend, Jen, is Jewish and invited us to join her family for Passover. I was assigned dessert. No problem except that it needed to be wheat and yeast free. I immediately thought of this cookbook I bought a while back. It's amazing. Anytime I make the recipes, no one even suspects they are gluten free or paleo.
Now, to be clear, the cake part of the following photos is from the book (recipe follows). The chocolate drizzle on the donuts is melted Ghirardelli and the cupcake frosting is chocolate buttercream. But, the cakes are simple and delicious and relatively healthy without any toppings.
from The Paleo Chocolate Lovers' Cookbook by Kelly V. Brozyna
1/2 c applesauce with no sugar added
1/2 c honey
1/4 c melted coconut oil
1 tbs vanilla extract
3/4 tsp liquid vanilla stevia
1 c almond flour
1/2 c cocoa powder
1/4 c arrowroot flour
1/4 c coconut flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1) preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease the pans (or use muffin tins with liners)
2) in a blender, purée the wet ingredients until smooth
3) add the dry ingredients to the blender and purée until smooth
4) let the batter rest for 15 minutes until thickened
5) fill doughnut pans with batter (or muffin tins)
6) bake for 12 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
7) let cool in pans for a few minutes, then remove to wire rack
Leave plain or frost and ENJOY!
Make them, you won't be disappointed! Teresa