Go more GREEN in 2018
Here we are at January 23. Almost one whole month into 2018. Is it bad that all my Christmas decorations are still piled on my dining room table? Maybe I should tackle that today. Humph. While I do that, here is a list of little ways to go more green in 2018. I'm such a poet…
1. Limit fridge door opening. It's now a habit for me to take out everything I want to use for a meal when I open the refrigerator. I really try to open the door only once instead of half a dozen times in the span of 15 min. Same goes for putting food back. Pile it all to the side of the fridge, open the door once and put everything back. Easy.
2. Ditch the trash liners. The only garbage cans that have liners in my house are in the kitchen. And, we use them over and over until they are falling apart. You don't need little plastic bags in all the tiny trash cans in your house. You don't need them. I promise.
3. Don't use plastic produce bags. This is SO easy, it's stupid. I've talked about fabric produce bags several times here + here(!). The ones I use are less than $1 each!!!! Done and done.
4. Use metal straws or none at all. We still use these in my house every day. We refuse straws when eating out.
5. Buy used. Join a neighborhood Facebook page, eBay, or Craigslist to get what you need. I picked up an amazing butcher block cutting board this morning for $2 (!) off my neighborhood Facebook page. I can't tell you how much I love that. And, yesterday, I gave away for free 4 pairs of socks that were too big for me. The recipients were thrilled.
6. Buy organic when you can. Produce, clothes, bedding, towels, etc. I buy as much organic produce as I can. And, you know I'm fanatic about organic bedding. This year, I'm committing to buying organic clothes if I need any. I just ordered a couple pair of organic cotton pajama pants for only $23/each from one of my fav companies!
7. Use reusables instead of plastic wrap or aluminum foil. I'm committing to this and this. Excited!
8. Get a refillable fountain pen. I've known friends in the past who only use fountain pens. I think I need to ask for one for my birthday!
9. Join a book subscription. I love to read. Just finished this book for my book club. But, I hate having piles of books around my house that clutter, take up space and that I doubt anyone else wants to read. I get several from my neighborhood Facebook page but it is still a physical object. Another thing I'm asking for my birthday this year is an electronic reader and a subscription so I can read as many books as I want (would LOVE opinions and suggestions for both!).
10. Learn to mend. Yes, I know that sounds silly but you can save so many of your favorite items by simply mending them. As you know, I do SO much of this for people and I love it. It's really my favorite kind of sewing and it's so easy to learn (tons of YouTube videos). Really. You don't even need many supplies. I can't tell you how many times I simply iron on patches. Easy peasy.
That's all. Note that I didn't mention using reusable shopping bags as I'm going to trust that I'm preaching to the choir on that one! Thanks for reading. XOXO--Teresa
Posted by Green Bag Lady Teresa at 1/23/2018