Popcorn! A wonderful GREEN Christmas gift!

My student Kristina, who is adorable, walked into my office this week and handed me a bag of popcorn and said, "Merry Christmas." I love popcorn (who doesn't?) so I was very excited. Upon closer inspection, I realized the cloth bag that the kernels were nestled in had her name on it. She told me that over Thanksgiving, her WHOLE family (mom and brothers and all) hand printed the bags with printmaking ink and a linocut she had made, filled them with popcorn and were using them as gifts. They even have instructions sewn into the seem. How cute is this? What a GREAT family project and what a GREAT gift that is consumable, comes in a compostable cotton bag and even uses eco-friendly inks. I love it! After the photos, I will tell you how I make eco-friendly really CHEAP popcorn. . .

Here is Kristina and her family making the bags. . .cutting the fabric. . .

. . .printing on the fabric. . .


. . .tadahhhhhh. . .

. . .the bags drying. . .

. . .the finished product--front. . .

. . .and back. . .

. . .Little Man LOVES popcorn too!

Teresa's Microwave Popcorn
1/3 cup organic popcorn--bought in bulk and brought home in a fabric produce bag! :)
1 brown lunch bag (they come in a pack of 100 and sold at the grocery store)
1 piece of clear tape (masking tape will not work, it come off in the heat)

Put the popcorn in the bag and roll it over 2 times about 1/2 inch each roll, seal it with the tape, put it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, just listen for it to stop popping, take tape off, put in a bowl and ENJOY!

This is the easiest and most environmentally friendly way to eat popcorn. You can use the bag over and over, just ask Bagette Dad. If it rips, just recycle it!

You can add 1-2 tbsp of butter and some salt if you don't like it plain.

That's it! Have a great weekend! Teresa

4 comments:

Jen BK said...

Yeah, that is the way I make popcorn....so very yummy and eco-friendly (and you can re-use your brown paper bag a couple of times).

Anonymous said...

Dear Author greenbaglady.blogspot.com !
I congratulate, you were visited with simply magnificent idea

Unknown said...

I love this idea!!! I'd be great for a party too! I'm having a circus theme party, but I don't know if I can pull off doing more than 100+ bags! Hurray for popcorn!!!

Unknown said...

Popcorn. i love them!