What do I say to my daughter?

What do you say to your kid when one of her friends passes away? He was 16. 16! It's awful.

They were all at the Homecoming bonfire and he took a bite of a smore that had peanut butter on it. He didn't think the allergic reaction warranted medical care. My daughter and a friend took him home to his father. That was the last time she saw him. She found out yesterday at school that he had passed away from anaphylactic shock. What?

I am devastated for my daughter and for the family of this sweet, funny, wonderful, life-loving boy.

Please hug your littles (and big kids) extra hard. If you have a kid with allergies, please make sure they have an eli-pen with them ALL THE TIME. No matter how old they get. Please.

Teresa

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry.

Melissa Graham said...

Teresa I'm so sorry that your daughter had to witness this needless death. My daughter has a peanut allergy also and keeps an epi-pen with her at all times whether she wants to or not just in case. Hopefully his death will not be in vain and through it someone will learn that severe allergies are not something to be ignored.

Green Bag Lady Teresa said...

Thanks Anonymous.

Green Bag Lady Teresa said...

Yes, Melissa, it is truly horrible. I hope this will bring more awareness too. Make sure your daughter keeps the Epi-pen with her even when she gets older. Maybe easier for girls since they carry a purse? I don't know. Just so sad.

Melody said...

I am so sorry. I don't think there are words. Just be there. I had just graduated college and was woken up very early in the morning by my mom. My room mate was killed by a drunk driver and her mom-she was an only child-was calling to tell us. I will never forget that moment.

Green Bag Lady Teresa said...

OH what a sad story Melody. I knew a girl, not well, back in college that passed away too. She was the friend of one of my good friends. Only child as well. She was hiking in some cool place like Chile and got hit on the head by a rock during a rock slide. She died instantly. Horrible. The parents were older parents too and didn't think they could have kids when all of the sudden they had her. My heart still breaks for them.