REVIEW: Viori Shampoo and Conditioner Bars

I mentioned in this post that I was interested in trying shampoo and conditioner bars to go more plastic free. I tagged Viori in the Facebook post and got a lengthy response from them even answering some questions for me. Awesome! I noted they were having a BOGO Valentine sale and that pushed me over the edge to order from them.

I bought two BOGO sets in different scents as well as 2 of their bamboo bar holders. I also got a free body wash bar with my order (fun!). Here are my thoughts: I love the packaging, pretty, informative, paper, lovely. The shampoo bars are packed in what I can only describe as cardboard origami, very cool. I ordered 2 scents, Heirloom Tea and Teak. I LOVE the scent of the teak. Really. I washed my hair and I wanted to keep smelling the ends, it smells so good. It's a light, clean, fresh scent. Unfortunately, the Heirloom Tea is too strong for "hypersensitive to smells" me. I'm not even going to wash my hair with it. I already told Little Girl that I'm sending it to her. For those people who like strong floral scents, this one is for YOU!

Now for the actual washing. I was SO surprised at how the shampoo bar lathered up, was easy to use and made my hair feel fresh and clean. Score! I was not as adept with the conditioner bar. You almost have to use it like a comb on your hair to get it in. But, once I got the hang of it, it went on well and definitely conditioned my hair. I would recommend wetting the conditioner bar BEFORE you start shampooing so it is softer when you are ready to use it.

I have used the set 3 times now and here are my thoughts for MY hair. I have curly/wavy color treated medium hair that is middle of my back length. When I get out of the shower, I towel dry my hair, put some leave in conditioner on it (Aveda) and let it air dry a bit. Then I make a part down the back of my head and twist the two sections. I let that air dry. Once it's dry I can run my fingers through it and have naturally beachy waves. This method works well and prevents some areas from being too curly (back underneath) or too straight (more on top). I have been doing this for years.

What I noticed with Viori is that it made my hair smell terrific and SUPER SOFT but it tends to straighten out my curls to be just slightly wavy to almost straight. I need to figure out if there are some of the bar sets that are better for curly/wavy hair. All in all, I'm impressed. I really like it and am, for the most part, happy with the teak set. I'll let you know if I find out anything about other bars being better for my hair type. Maybe I need to skip my usual leave in conditioner? Teresa
PS, they have another sale going on, use code TRYBOGO
 





4 comments:

Maria said...

So I haven't tried that brand specifically, but any shampoo that I have made or use that has the main ingredient SCI as these bars do has been REALLY great (it's the first ingredient the bars looked at--Sodium Cocyl Iso...something I can't spell off the top of my head--so SCI for short). It's gentle, leaves my hair shiny and is the number one ingredient I use when making my own shampoo or body wash. I also do not need conditioner anymore except during the very dry winter days. I maybe condition once a week during the winter or if I otherwise stress my hair, but I've now had the same conditioner jar (refilled from conditioner I make myself) for about 5 years. I have some natural curl, but mostly straight especially wherever I keep it short (bangs).

Since I make my own shampoo most of the time I don't need to worry about plastic. I reuse the plastic bottle that I started with and most of the batch resides in a glass jar. There are a few more ingredients in my homemade shampoo, but I think that the SCI is a really high quality, gentle one. I also like panthenol in my shampoos as I think it helps the curl.

I think you'll really like the product long term and you may find you don't need to buy conditioner at all.

Oh--Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Oh great suggestions Maria. Thank you! I just took a shower and used less of the conditioner bar and that seems to be better so far. I’ll see what it’s like when it’s dry. 😊😊

Lee said...

Thank you both for the post and Maria's info!

Maria said...

I"m also currently trying bamboo toothbrushes! I've found some I really like. The handles are made from bamboo. The bristles are made from nylon and the brush head itself is slightly smaller than what I'm used to, but I think the toothbrush cleans really well! I paid about 8 dollars for 10 of them. My husband is less impressed, but I love them so far.